• Technical
  • capslock repeat (xset r 66) -- frequently unset with recent updates

capslock repeat (xset r 66) -- frequently unset with recent updates

• Started by Cyborg16
    • 9 Replies:

Hi,
    So, I have a startup script looking like the following:

#!/bin/sh
    setxkbmap -layout cyborg16,cyborg16 -variant colemak_ch,basic -option -option grp:sclk_toggle,grp_led:caps,compose:menu
    xset r 66

(customised layout). This used to work fine, but I noticed after upgrading to Ubuntu 10.04 and a recent debian system that the caps-lock (back-space) repeat keeps getting unset after a while (using kde 4.4 desktop). Running

xset r 66

again fixes this, but only for a little while. (Keyboard layout is not set in KDE settings; only by script. The actual layout persists; just key 66 auto-repeat is turned off.) Anyone have an idea why? I posted a question here too: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/111811

I've noticed something similar. Despite `xset r 66` being in my xinitrc, I never get autorepeat on backspace until I manually invoke the command again. I'm not quite sure if it becomes unset over time, however.

Currently I'm trying to find the HAL equivalent, after having migrated my setxkbmap line to a HAL policy.

while true; do xset r 66; sleep 5; done &

=P

``Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen.''
    ~ Albert Einstein

I found another solution: it appears that xkb has a new caps:backspace option. My startup script now has (cut/change the layout and variant bits):

setxkbmap -layout cyborg16,cyborg16 -variant colemak_ch,basic -option -option grp:sclk_toggle,grp_led:caps,compose:menu,caps:backspace

Or change kde/gnome keyboard options.

Ah, that should sort me out nicely. Unless it swaps them. I still like using the backspace key.

Should indeed...

I wrote the above before trying it, and it doesn't seem to have helped (in KDE). Did it work for anyone else?

Cyborg16 said:

I wrote the above before trying it, and it doesn't seem to have helped (in KDE). Did it work for anyone else?

No, you still need xset r 66.

Btw, I've seen other reports (elsewhere) of xset key repeat settings that go away during a session on recent X.org releases...

Hi guys, I found a way to make capslock permanently repeatable. That's remap its keycode to backspace's keycode.
    Only put this in /etc/rc.local (or /etc/conf.d/local.start in gentoo) make capslock become backspace without having to use gnome setting or xmodmap. And of course you can get rid of "xset r 66" as well.

setkeycodes 3a 14
    setkeycodes ba 14

And a reboot is needed after that :-)

Last edited by baongoc124 (12-Jun-2010 11:40:11)

I actually fixed it by removing HAL (it's deprecated and going to be removed from xorg anyway), recompiling xorg and using a keyboard section in xorg.conf.

Section "InputDevice"
            Identifier      "Keyboard"
            Driver "keyboard"
            Option "CoreKeyboard"
            Option "Protocol" "Standard"
            Option "XkbRules" "base"
            Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
            Option "XkbLayout" "us"
            Option "XkbVariant" "colemak"
            Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
    EndSection

I had similar issue where xset settings were reseted when using HAL (Debian Squeeze). In my case, xset settings where reseted only after pressing two keys: Fn+Arrow up or Fn+Arrow down (lcd brightness). I also solved it by disabling HAL and installing new input drivers (xserver-xorg-input-kbd, xserver-xorg-input-mouse). In some reason, xev started to show different keycode, interesting. Anyhow, problem solved in my case.

• Index
      • Technical
      • capslock repeat (xset r 66) -- frequently unset with recent updates